March 31, 2017
Data is essential to modern business as well as our personal lives. Outside of important documents, family photos, accounting information, and more, our business and personal lives exist in no small part in the digital realm. March 31st of every year is known as World Backup Day, a day to raise awareness about the importance of protecting your data and acknowledging its vulnerability. It’s aptly timed as well. Being right before April Fool’s Day, the message is clear. Don’t be the fool who forgot to back up their data this year.
So, in honor of the upcoming holiday, let’s take a look at a few must-haves in a quality business data backup strategy. Prepare your data backup strategy today so you are ready for whatever tomorrow brings.
Must Haves in a Data Backup Strategy
- Onsite Backups: When a server crashes or fails, it is helpful to have data backups on hand for easy restoration. It’s a cliché, but time is indeed money. Onsite backups are often faster to restore than cloud backups and almost always faster than offsite tape backups.
- Offsite Backups: Onsite backups are valuable, but they cannot be counted on alone. Should something disastrous happen to the data center, it could also damage any backups you have in the building. For that reason, it is always wise to have copies of your backups offsite where they can be accessed manually or through the cloud.
- Optimized Backup Schedule: Backups are not a one and done process. Key data in your data center must be regularly and consistently backed up according to a clear and organized schedule. Check out our blog article on just a few backup rotation schemes for more information.
- Backup Testing: Backups need to be tested and need to be tested regularly. In addition, the IT staff must be trained on how to access and restore their data backups as quickly as possible. A backup that fails or a team that is unable to restore the backup quickly undermines the company’s investment in a backup solution in the first place.
- Organized Storage System: Mostly applying to tape-based backup solutions, the storage repository for backups and labeling system must be clear and organized. The team cannot commit extra time digging through box after box of tape looking for a specific backup from a specific date several years ago.
Speed is the Key
Central to all of these backup must-haves is speed. Backups not only need to be reliable and accessible, but the company needs to be able to restore the data quickly. When assessing possible data backup strategies in your environment, do not lose sight of this metric.
Mindsight would like to wish everyone a (preemptive) happy World Backup Day. Protect your data, and protect your business.
Download Mindsight’s FREE White Paper on Data Backup
Mindsight’s white paper, Moving Away from Tape, takes a closer look at data backup strategies, the business demands that lead to refinement in backup processes, and the current state of the industry. From tape to the cloud, this Mindsight white paper will give you a clear picture of data backup and how to approach it in your own environment.
Like what you read?
Mindsight, a Chicago IT services provider, is an extension of your team. Our culture is built on transparency and trust, and our team is made up of extraordinary people – the kinds of people you would hire. We have one of the largest expert-level engineering teams delivering the full spectrum of IT services and solutions, from cloud to infrastructure, collaboration to contact center. Our highly-certified engineers and process-oriented excellence have certainly been key to our success. But what really sets us apart is our straightforward and honest approach to every conversation, whether it is for an emerging business or global enterprise. Our customers rely on our thought leadership, responsiveness, and dedication to solving their toughest technology challenges.